Key level puzzle-report back

Fri, 03 Apr 1998 12:10:01 -0800

Gary and Jean Isaac wrote:

> Thanks for the responses on the key level problem.  I went back to the
> piano today and found the answer:  in moving the piano the right back toe
> had come off.  This allowed the whole internal structure to shift
> downwards from the case so that the treble portion of the keyboard was
> raised too high.  What I didn't do, since I had no one to help, was to put
> the piano on its back to find out why the case was not fixed solidly to
> the internal structure.  Is it not supposed to be?
>
> Gary Isaac
> Umtata
> South Africa

Gary,

It depends on the design of the piano. Usually, if the piano has a wood back assembly the
sides are glued to that back assembly. If, however, the piano is one of those designed
without a back post assembly, then the sides are usually attached to the plate using
screws coming from the inside of the piano through the plate and into the sides. If the
keybed and arms are then fastened to the sides you could easily get the kind of
flexibility you encountered. Check the back of the piano to see if there are wood back
posts in place. Also check the thickness of any posts that might be there. I've evaluated
a number of back assemblies that are so thin as to be of cosmetic and marketing value
only.

Del