Perfect Pitch Update

robert sadowski rls@ncinter.net
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 08:15:46 -0400

Dear List,
      After the request from the conductor to tune to A441,  I tuned to A440
as always.
After rehearsal, he told me to bring it down to 440, the oboe player was
having trouble with the higher pitch.  When I checked it, it was actually
closer to 438.  I then realized it's best to let customers operate in
whatever reality they wish and just do the best tuning I can. The irony is
that this particular orchestra's brass section was playing so out of tune it
was making my skin crawl but didn't seem to bother the conductor with
perfect pitch.

Later,

Bob Sadowski
Erie, PA