String Levelling guestions

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 02:22:56 -0500

----------
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: String Levelling guestions
> Date: Monday, April 06, 1998 10:35 AM
>

> Richard Moody wrote:
>
> > So then do you mean we (oops that damn word again) are bending piano
> > strings to make up for lousey agraffes?
>
> Might I suggest that "we" are doing a lot of bending of piano strings to
make up for lousy
> string termination design.

By "termination" do you mean the beginning or the ending of the string?
What then would be "Lousy string termination design" ? To me the string
begins at the tuning pin. and ends at the hitch pin.  Are there names for
ALL the segments in between?  (I bet there are in German)  What's the
segment between the two bridge pins? (for example)
> the same manufacturer have string termination problems requiring much
string fussing

A neophyte asks what is "fussing"?

Richard Tyro

ps

> And there is a reason why these problems are not generally found in the
upright piano

 This discussion has sparked curiosity, upon feeling for levelness of
trichords in uprights, many are unlevel, but not much over 50%.  But this
is only the first two weeks, and five pianos. More to come pending
interest. .. rm