String Levelling guestions

Tue, 07 Apr 1998 06:59:50 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

> By "termination" do you mean the beginning or the ending of the string?
> What then would be "Lousy string termination design" ? To me the string
> begins at the tuning pin. and ends at the hitch pin.  Are there names for
> ALL the segments in between?  (I bet there are in German)  What's the
> segment between the two bridge pins? (for example)

In this context, the reference is to the agraffe/V-bar and to the leading bridge pin.
I.e., the termination points of the so-called "speaking" portion of the string. I'd guess
-- hope? -- that it's been some time since anyone spent a lot of time fussing with the
string level between the trailing bridge pin and the hitch pin. Or the bearing bar and the
tuning pin. But I could be wrong.

> > the same manufacturer have string termination problems requiring much
> string fussing
>
> A neophyte asks what is "fussing"?
>
> Richard Tyro

I refer the neophyte to the numerous posts already on the list (and to the 73 that are yet
to come) about string leveling -- about precisely where to bend, where not to bend, how to
bend, how not to bend, when to bend, when not to bend, etc. -- to determine what "fussing"
is.

> ps
>
> > And there is a reason why these problems are not generally found in the
> upright piano
>
>  This discussion has sparked curiosity, upon feeling for levelness of
> trichords in uprights, many are unlevel, but not much over 50%.  But this
> is only the first two weeks, and five pianos. More to come pending
> interest. .. rm

Yes. Sometimes there are strings on upright piano that are not "level." But, in most
uprights they do not present the audible problems that they do in grand pianos.

-- ddf