Removing ivories?

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:41:41 -0400

I have had good luck by clamping the key in a vice, putting a few drops of
water around the edges of the ivory, and then gently heating with a hot air
gun while delicately prying with a thin bladed knife (a breakaway razor
knife will do because you should be exerting little force).  The ivory
usually comes off very cleanly with no chips, and no residue to require
additional cleaning.

Frank Weston