Too much String Leveling --IMHO Foolish!

Tue, 7 Apr 1998 16:40:52 -0500

Mike,

At 12:25 4/7/98 +0000, you wrote:

>Ok, even with a "kinder-gentler" action as you and Conrad suggest.  Just
>how long can i keep lifting and working the same string...

In the best of all possible worlds, and the string is not over-bent, you
wouldn't need to rebend it every year.

If you are releveling every year/humidity cycle, then the dead horse analogy
becomes more apropos.  What my computer tells me is an unrecoverable fault.

The number of cycles before a string segment is work-hardened/brittle and
fails would, in my non-metallurgical mind, vary with the diameter of the
string.  Others on this list could surely give you formulae.

>fragment of brass decides to "get even" with me by bouncing off my nose to
ruin my day?

It really wouldn't be getting even, just responding to vector forces.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT		hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
Luther College Music Technician	pno2ner@salamander.com
Decorah, Iowa 52101		Voice 	(319)-387-1204
				Fax	(319)-387-1076

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us; to see oursel's as others see us!
It wad some monie a blunder free us, and foolish notion. - Robert Burns