pounding in tuning

Thu, 9 Apr 1998 13:23:36 -0500

At 10:41 4/9/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Open can of worms time!

Glenn,

I just _love_ cans-o-worms...

> If in
>setting the pin there is more or less tension left in any portion of the
>string, rather than EQUAL tension from pin to hitch pin, a moderate blow
>will equalize it and the resultant pitch settle lower.

Caveat: I pound. I hope to pound harder than anyone using the piano will.

That said, my feeling (unsubstantiated by hard scientific research) is that
the sounding portion of the string is actually at a lower tension than the
ends.

When the hammer strikes the string, it deflects it to start the vibration.
The vector force of this displacement increases the tension.

Depending on the amount of deflection/force applied by the blow, the
friction resistance of agraffe/capo and/or bridge terminus may or may not be
overcome by this increased tension.

So, if  the string has equal tension in all segments and a forceful enough
blow is struck  to increase the tension more than the amount of the
friction, then the outer segments will be pulled toward the center, thus
increasing their tension.

After the blow and vibrations cease, the sounding portion will drop back
down in tension, leaving the outer portions at an increased tension with a
maximum differential of the friction at the terminus points.

As long as the note is not played harder than necessary to overcome that
friction it should be a stable tuning.

So - equilbrium, not equality

Naturally, this also speaks to Goldilocks down/side bearing.  (Not too much,
not too little - just right.)

The ice is off the lake, where's that can-o-worms?

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College
700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu -or- pno2ner@salamander.com

If I had multiple personality disorder, my resume would make more sense.