Pounding as related to tuning stability

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 02:03:32 -0500

----------
> From: Bill Ballard <yardbird@sover.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: String leveling as related to tuning
> Date: Wednesday, April 08, 1998 9:36 PM

> Test Blows are another subject, and on that, my opinion is that as long
the
> tuning pin friction and the string frixction have the proper
relationship,
> it's all in the hand on the hammer, very little of it in the test blows.
> Although my theory gets blown out of the water every once in a while,
too.

Pounding is not necessary for a stable tuning.  It might be true that
there are those who cannot get a solid tuning without pounding, but that
is beside the point. Test blows are necessary to learn ear to hand
coordination of the tuning hammer. Once it is learned fewer and fewer test
blows are needed, as you say. . In fact test blows shouldn't be an
indication of the skill of setting pins, execpt for the learner, they
should demonstrate instead that the piano indeed has problems as you put
it in the proper relationship of tuning pin friction but most importantly
string friction at the pressure points.
	No your theory would not get blown out of the water.  A pounder could
only prove the pin/string can't be set by any means.

Richard Moody