Some thoughts on a "can of worms"

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:02:59 -0700 (MST)

Hi all:

In one Clinton country factory, all vertical piano shanks get tested in
a machine which rolls the shanks down an incline and at the bottom contrary
pressure is applied to the shanks as they roll so that any angular grain
shanks will break. There is a large box to collect all the shanks which fail
this test. In the case of the grand shanks, they are all given a drop test.
Those which have a certain thud sound are discarded. We called them rubber
shanks. They would make the tone dull. We didn't have a roll test for grand
shanks becuse they don't roll very well. Any obvious angular grain spotted
was thrown out.

That's the way it was when I was there anyway.

Jim Coleman, Sr.