Not such a stupid question

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:55:36 -0400

Dear all,

    I use my little tuning hammers all the time.   They are little two
headed hammers.  Yes the harpsichord pins are not threaded (except in some
revival era instruments), no drilled hole and becket (we have our clever
ways to get the wire to hold), and yes, the pins are tapered.

     The hammers are T shaped, and also have a little hook on the top which
can be handy for making  hitchpin loops.

     The hammer is used to tap in the pins.  They have a tendency to work
loose over time, but it's not a problem.  Just a little tap sets them back
down.  The hammer is also used to string, obviously, for initial
installation of pins as well.  Keep in mind that the tensions on the
harpsichord are a small fraction of what they are on the piano.  We don't
need such enormous pins and friction in the pinblock.

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.