Alternative materials

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@CompuServe.COM
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 07:30:03 -0400

Bob,

That must have been a good discussion with your new engineer friend. I have
noticed that the new composite materials are being used in some action
parts in some brands of pianos already.

A few years ago (1976) a salesman came in to the store where I worked
demonstrating the unbreakableness of a soprano recorder made out of that
material. I was very impressed.

In just the last few weeks I have also been thinking about why some
"cutting edge" piano company (maybe Yamaha) doesn't develop a piano with
ALL the wood parts replaced by the composite material. Maybe it would be
too heavy. It certainly seems like it would be a better choice than
particle board which many piano manufacturers are using. It could even be
covered with a neat polyester finish!

Wally Scherer (temporarily off the list)
E-mail: WallyTS@iName.com (Please use this new address now!)
Web page: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2411
"Old piano tuners don't die - they just go beatless."