Hard tuning is better than good tuning?

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:36:26 -0500 (CDT)

>...It saves
>on the ears and on the fingers and I think its much more agreeable to
>those who are in the vicinity listening.
>
>Marvin McDonald, Associate

These are often overlooked values when tuning pianos.  Wear & tear on
oneself's, and on the customer and their environment!

Those in the vicinity of listening will greatly appreciate any efforts you
make to minimize the noise output, Marvin.  Just imagine if you will, a
customer who has had the opportunity to experience one who bangs the piano
into a stable tuning, and one who renders the piano into a stable tuning.
Just imagine, if you will, who they will want back.

I learned this at a Piano Technicians Guild chapter meeting long ago when
the person doing a pitch raising technical kept striking the notes long
after necessary.  It was an incredibly abusive time to my senses.  This was
a great lesson for all tunings to come in my life.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731