..your comments..

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 07:50:39 -0500

Phil:

As Ed said, each tuning you do comes from someone else.  How you get
that tuning is important.  There are both ethical and unethical ways to
do it.  I am a contractor where I am (saves benefits, you know) and as
such anyone could under bid me at any time to try to get the work.

Costs are precise, and easy to compare.  Value is not.  Someone could
propose tuning for $1.00 less than I charge, but they are still an
unknown.  How well would they do?  How reliable would they be?  How
responsive to emergencies would they be?  How well would they get along
with faculty, students, administrators etc.?  These are qualities that
are more difficult to evaluate than just the price.  Since the current
tech is a known, and you are an unknown, that is your big hurdle to
overcome.

The best way to get this kind of work is to do some investigating.  Is
the school unhappy with there current arrangement?  Is the current tech
unhappy, burned out, ready to retire, etc.?  If the school is happy, and
the tech is happy, you'll probably do little but damage some
relationships if you try to "cut in".  Find a place where they need a
good tech, and there is dissatisfaction with the current arrangement.
Actually, you don't want a job where you displace a well liked tech.
You'll be the "bad guy" and that will be a difficult image to overcome.
Perception and relationships are a very important part of these jobs.
It's much nicer to come into a job as a conquering hero (following a
previously bad working relationship) than as an interloper who displaced
everyone's favorite tech.

dave

--

David M. Porritt, RPT