chickering 597

Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:33:09 -0700

Mary,

The original B design did indeed use a two part rim -- it was a first for Baldwin,
although other manufacturers have used similar systems for decades -- but it was never
intended to be put together with screws. If the inner and outer rims are pressed and
assembled correctly, there should never be a need for them. The two pieces should should
have fit together just a snugly as if they were pressed and glued at the same time. And in
terms of structural integrity and/or performance there should be absolutely no difference
between the two processes.

Think about it. With the so-called "one-piece" rim design, what is it that holds the inner
and outer rims together? A glue joint. And with the so-called "two-piece" rim, what is it
that holds the inner an outer rims together? Again, a glue joint. Having worked with both
I can say that both systems will produce excellent rims if done correctly and both systems
will produce structurally deficient rims in not done correctly. Both are subject to the
quality control goals and the capabilities of the factory making them.

My preference is to press the two rims together, but assemble them later. That is, the two
rims are pressed together in one rim press with an unglued spacer between them. The two
rims are then separated and processed separately. This way the bellyrail and rim bracing
can be assembled to the inner rim without the outer rim being in the way. The machining of
the inner rim is simplified and thus has at least the potential for being more accurately
done. The pinblock and soundboard installation is greatly simplified. Plate assembly and
stringing are both more easily accomplished. Etc. This process has the potential for being
both a less complex process and a more accurate one at the same time. And this potential
is actually being realized by many piano builders around the world.

Regards,

Del