Gluing Inory Keys - 1929 Popular Mechanics

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 19:17:44 -0500

I was recently thumbing through the May 1929 "Popular Mechanics" (I
inherited it from my dad), and was amused to note this short article on
page 872. Here it is in it's entirety:

"     Gluing Ivories on Piano Keys

A simple method of gluing ivories on piano keys is to get a little oxide
of zinc (white) and mix it with ordinary glue. File or sand both the
surface of the key and that of the ivory. Apply the glue to the key, and
let it stand for 5 or 10 minutes before placing the ivory on it. Press
the ivory in place and then wrap ordinary twine around both key and
ivory. In three or four hours the glue will have set sufficiently to
permit filing or sanding the dry glue off the sides. Do not apply water
to it unless waterproof glue has been used. I have used this method
successfully for many years in repairing pianos.--W. F. Caldwell,
Portland, Oreg."