Chickering hinge

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 20:23:11

Greetings David,
                 On re. reading your post, I would like to add that the lid
of this instrument is MDF board. I am assuming that the damage happened in
moving, therefore perhaps a damage claim, a new lid would be the wiser
solution.
 How ever if you are going to repair the screw holes the following will
produce good results.
 Get a good supply of brass Phillips screws, 1/8" longer than the original.
Tubes of 5min Epoxy, Box of tooth picks. Mix small batches of epoxy as
required, heat with hair drier, it will run like water, swab the holes,
reinstall the longer screws. The repair will be as strong as the original,
if not stronger.
 No CA glue on this one please.
Hope this is helpful
Roger
>List,
>
>I was contacted by a customer with a "Chickering" #507#EBY with
>some damage to the long lid hinge.  I haven't seen it but was
>wondering if this is Korean made?  It is brand new...Does anyone
>know the manufacturer.  I received some pictures with a letter
>and pictures show some gaps between the hinge and the lid which
>means to me that the screws have been forced out of their holes.
>I imagine I can remove it and hammer it flat etc. and repair the
>holes...ordering it from the factory would also be an option,
>one preferred by owner.
>
>Thanks in advance...
>

>ilvey
>Pacifica, CA