Stability concerns

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:18:10 -0500 (CDT)

Don,

   Interesting results but I'm curious. Why did the coils need tightening
in the first place? Just restrung? Or was this on an older string job?
Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Avery

>I have had a chance to do some *interesting* comparisons recently.
>
>The contest:
>
>Tightening tuning pin coils VS tapping strings down on the bridge.
>
>Results so far:
>
>Attempt #1 coils then bridge
>
>tuning pins pitch drop between 21-118 cents
>setting strings pitch drop between 18-69 cents.
>
>I hope to try the reverse order very soon on an instrument.
>
>It seems so far that coil setting is *more* important than setting the
>strings on the bridge--but that setting the strings lowers the pitch more
>*evenly*.
>
>I have done the coils on one instrument *after* another tech had set the
>strings on the bridge. Piano was between 3 and 18 cents flat before coil
>tightening. After the proceedure pitch was 37 to 133 cents flat!
>

>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
>drose@dlcwest.com
>Web Site: http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/
>3004 Grant Rd.
>REGINA, SK
>S4S 5G7
>306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893
713-743-3226
atodd@uh.edu
http://www.music.uh.edu/

 o  For sale: an antique desk suitable for lady with thick legs and
    large drawers . (Classified Ad)