Re: Two ways, José (off topic)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:34:52

At 09:53 PM 4/20/98 -0400, Bill Ballard wrote:

>>Did anybody get these e's coming out differently? (Mac people?)
>>Susan Kline
>
>The identical bitmaps on my Mac screen for both DOS and Windows versions of
>the "e-acute".
>These accents (as well as the common vowel/accent combinations) are all
>residents of the standard ASCII alphabet, and all in the higher character
>set (ie. „128). "é" is ASCII(142).
>
>><alt> 130
>>In Windows Character map: <alt> 0233
>
>ASCII(130) is the "Ç" and ASCII(233) is "È". Does  Bill Gates really make
>you depress the <alt> and then ype three or four digits to access these
>accented vowels?

Bill Gates does. However, that is only if you are using the American
English keyboard. You can configure the software to use other conventions.
(French, Norwegian, Portugese, German, Icelandic, Spanish, etc.)

And of course, when not using ASCII for email, one may write in Hebrew,
Japanese, Greek, Arabic, etc.

>Over here on the Mac, they are enabled for application in one key/pair, and
>then applied immediately to a single vowel. For example, "alt-e" loads the
>" ´ ", ready for you to follow on  with a  "a". "e", "i". or "o". The
>operating system stands ready to switch among the
>accent/punctuation/alphabet conventions of twelve Roman alphabet languagues
>
>Thîñk Dïfférænt,

Okay: … † ‡ ˆ Š ‹ Œ ™ Ÿ © « Ø þ ð ® µ § ¥ ¤ ¿hokay?

hmmm. I wonder what everyone's software made of those. I had to increase
font size to get a good look at them.

>Bill Ballard, RPT
>New Hampshire Chapter, PTG
>
>"Baa, Ram Ewe....Baa, Ram Ewe,
>To your breed, To your fleece, To your clan be true
>Sheep be true.......Baa, Ram, Ewe"
>Conversation starter in uncertain social situations

Could you, perhaps, enlarge on which uncertain social situations this would
be appropriate to? Enquiring minds wish to know ...

Susan

.