Was Re: Coil tapping

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:11:36 -0400

At 02:49 PM 4/20/98 +0000,David Ilvedson, RPT wrote:
<snip>>I agree that at least the problem should be brought up to the
>dealer.  Tapping the coils shouldn't take more than 5 minutes?
>A pitch raise before the tuning, maybe an extra 1/2 hour of work
>and a little instability in the tuning but hey, new pianos are
>inherently unstable and in the long run they will be better off.
>Would the dealer go for it?  I certainly hope so...

1. PROBABLY NOT

>Would the technician go for it?  I certainly hope so...

2. YES (refer to #1)

Many,   Ok . .  .Some dealers are of the TV and Toaster mentality.
Push them OUT the door. Take 'em out of the crate, show 'em,
move 'em.  Sometimes the floor model *which they picked out*
stays on the floor and a similar model gets delivered. Who knows.
I've heard people saying, "They backed the truck up and unpacked
it right out of the crate, we got a brand new one!". Talk about dealer
prep.  Dealer Hype.   They'll just send 'their guy' out, IF they find a
problem. And then you wonder why ten years later they find it's going
to cost "How Much" to bring it to pitch? Whadyamean Tuning?

Happily doing shop work all day every day,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)