Kimball console dampers

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:29:12 EDT

Wally Scherer  wrote:

<< I have run across several Kimball consoles with the whole bass damper
section misaligned. Has anyone else had that problem? What are the best ways
to correct the problem?>>

Amazing. I discovered that problem on a Kimball today. All the wedge damper
heads were bearing heavily on the right string, uniformly. Also,  there was
excessive lost motion in the bass notes. That was the clue. After some
investigation I lowered the bass action bracket an eighth of an inch, - which
cleaned up most of the lost motion problem and the dampers were now aligned.
It doesn't take much lowering of the bass end of the action to greatly affect
the bass dampers. The keybed was solid, but the upper attachment point for the
bass action bracket was quite variable.  One could easily hang the bracket at
different heights, even to where the bracket did not even touch the lower
action bracket support.

How the piano got in that state I don't know.   The piano had, however, been
worked on by an amateur tuner, the mother of the girl I was tuning for.

Bill Simon
Phoenix