Removing bridges

Paul Plumb plumb@execulink.com
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 21:56:23 -0400

Dear List,
	A good laugh is good for whatever ails ya.  I had a guy phone me just
today that wanted to know if I could use the iron frame from a piano he had
torn apart to get out of his house.  He thought it might be useful in case
I had another one break.
	I don't have that problem, but I have a 1915 Heintzman upright transposing
piano in my shop that needs both the upper treble and the bass bridges
replaced.  I think the cracks are a bit beyond an epoxy repair.  My problem
is that every other bridge I have ever replaced literally fell off when I
removed the strings and I have never had to remove a bridge that is solidly
in place.  I have thought about making a paper imprint of the bridge pins
and then routing off the bridge caps and replacing. The plate is rather
close to the treble bridge and so any kind of chisel would probably not
work.
	I have never taken a Heintzman completely apart down to the soundboard and
the keybed appears to be glued onto the sides and would therefore present
its own problems.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Plumb, B.Mus.Ed., Associate member of PTG
Plumb Pianos
London, Canada