Timber used in a Vertical

Thu, 23 Apr 1998 00:58:34 -0700

It depends on the "timber" you are talking about. If you're talking about the material
used in the case work of a vertical piano, then you have to decide what "superior" means.
Acoustically, the material used to make the case of a vertical piano won't matter much.
The Walter uses "lumber-core" plywood. This means that the core is very thick "solid"
wood. Usually poplar. This core is cross-banded and veneered. this makes a very stable and
relatively light-weight cabinet material. The Yamaha probably uses MDF which stands for
medium density fiberboard. This is a man-made product. It also is quite stable as long as
it does not get wet. (Since pianos are generally not kept outdoors, this is probably not a
problem. It is also more difficult to get fasteners such as wood screws to hold well in
MDF. This is only a problem if screws have to be taken out and replaced frequently. MDF is
also quite a bit heavier than lumber-core ply. In terms of toughness, lumber-core ply
definitely holds the edge. MDF tends to chip and break when hit hard. Lumber-core ply
dents and absorbs an impact better. In 40 or 50 years your ancestors will probably be
happier with a piano built with lumber-core ply.

The species of wood used in the back assembly could also be a factor. But here both
companies seem to do reasonably well. And the species of wood is probably less critical
than is the overall design of the assembly. It is a load supporting structure (in most
pianos) and must be designed accordingly. Sufficiently strong back assemblies can be
constructed using poplar, maple, oak, spruce, and/or any number of European or Asian hard
or soft woods. It's the design and assembly quality that matters most. I should add,
though, I prefer maple, or some similar hard and dense wood, for the soundboard liner.

In a grand piano the rim is both structural and contributes to the acoustical efficiency
of the overall system. So that is another pot of fish entirely. Any dissertation on this
subject will have to wait for another day. If you are still interested.

Regards,

Del