Perfect pitch...

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:19:55 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/98 12:09:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
 dpitsch@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< What exactly does having perfect pitch mean?

One of the most respected piano technicians in the industry, Franz Mohr (whom
 I admire and respect greatly), the late Vladimir Horowitz's personal
 technician and friend wrote a book called, "My Life with the Great PIanists".
 In it, he wrote a whole chapter which refutes the very notion of "perfect
 pitch".  He is often known to say, "There is nothing perfect in this world
 this side of Glory".

I do not think anyone will be able to find a quote from a well-stablished
 reference book that defines "perfect pitch".  It is simply something that
 people say.  There may be some concensus of opinion about what it means but
 the idea that anyone's brain is infallibly tuned to a certain frequency is
 pure nonsense.

If you carry this idea forward, so it mean that each note of the scale must
 infallibly equal the frequencies that Helmholtz defined?  If so, then one
 should tune a piano with a Strobe Tuner and be done with it for then that
 piano will have "perfect pitch".  If you accept that the piano's tuning must
 have small deviations in order to compensate for inharmonicity (which it must)
 and that these deviations are different from piano to piano, where is there
 "perfection" in the pitch?

Now what about these Historical Temperaments?  Their intervals are all
 different than Helmholtz' scheme which purports to "solve the problem".  No
 musicians or singers ever have a problem playing in tune with a piano tuned
 this way, those kinds of intervals were what was common practice until
 relatively recently.  They are natural to music.  If different kinds of
 intervals can all be musically acceptable, where is the "perfection" in the
 pitch?

Some singers and other musicians claim to have "perfect pitch".  Yet any good
 modern performer uses vibrato and portamento to make the musical phrasing
 sound pleasing to modern musical taste.  If every musical instrument or voice
 were tuned to only the frequencies that Helmholtz came up with and were not
 allowed any bending of these frequencies with vibrato or portamento, all music
 would indeed sound uninteresting and dull.

Just last weekend, I saw a touring company production of Rogers &
 Hammerstein's Carousel.  One might have said that it was a "perfect"
 performance.  There was not a single flaw.  It was over in exactly 2 1/2
 hours.  Instead of a full orchestra, there were a few instruments and a couple
 of synthesizers (tuned in ET, of course).  There was no "milking" of phrases.
 All tempos were strictly held.  There were no pauses for sustained applause.
 Nothing sounded the least bit out of tune but there was also none of the very
 special quality that an orchestra pit full of real professional musicians has
 either.  In my opinion, it was an extremely lifeless and uninteresting
 interpretation of the music, but it was "perfect".

>From the time I was a child, I could recognize which note was being played on
 our piano at home even though the instrument was never tuned from the time it
 was delivered until 8 years later.  I still remember the man who tuned it
 telling me that it had drifted flat from "about 1/4 step in the middle to 1/2
 step in the treble".  People had told me back then that I had "perfect pitch"
 but when I realized that I could tell one note from the other whether or not
 the piano were tuned, I realized there was nothing perfect about anything.  I
 found the work of a piano technician so fascinating that I became one later
 on.  Today, I can tell which note is which, which chord is which, which key is
 being played in whether the piano is tuned or not, no matter what the pitch is
 and regardless of temperament.  There is nothing "perfect" about any of that
 and so I do not claim to have "perfect" pitch, I merely have a "good ear" or
 natural aptitude music.

Franz Mohr said in part,  "Over the years, quite a number of people have
 claimed to me that they have perfect pitch. (snip)  [This] would mean being
 able to say, without any reference point, that middle A is vibrating at 442
 cps, or that it is vibrating at 438.  (snip)  No one with their natural sense
 of hearing can differentiate..."

I do hear stories of people whose sensitivity to whether an A4 is really 440
 or not seems to be amazingly accurate.  Tuning to A440 consistently is
 important for many reasons.  If we, as musicians always hear A4 at 440, we may
 well be able to recognize a very slight deviation from it when tuning.  If we
 hear something different every time, how could we know the difference?

Franz Mohr goes on to give a number of anecdotes about standard versus non
 standard pitch and people who claim to have "perfect pitch".  While there may
 be some people with a very good sense of pitch, I have never seen any
 scientific study where any individual has been proven to have an infallible
 sense of pitch.  All reports are always anecdotal.  Even if someone were to
 prove that a certain individual could consistently and without error detect
 more than a 1¢ deviation of 440 with no pitch reference, my reaction would be,
 "so what?".  Does that make that person a better musician?  What particular
 advantage is there to that?

For the sake of those who are outsiders who may read this List for research
 and information purposes, let's please not have professional piano technicians
 using the term, "perfect pitch".  It is not a valid concept, it is just a
 popular notion.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin