Acetic Acid - Use in pianos and other places too

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 03:39:09 -0400

Acetic Acid can be wonderful stuff, when used properly.  Vinegar is nothing
more than a very week solution of acetic acid.  So, think of the acetic
acid as being variable-strength vinegar depending on the dilution.

Real good ventilation is a must.  So is wearing rubber gloves.

While at school, we used it (diluted, of course) to clean out the last
residues of dead glue from the notches in the inner rim of a M&H BB.

It's also incredible for cleaning out soap scum from tiled surfaces ....

The stuff corrodes certain metals like nothing else -- chrome plating in
particular.  Do not use it around balance pins or front pins.  Keep it away
from your faucets while you're at it.

As for photographic matters, it is used as stop bath, in that it instantly
neutralizes the developer.  The next solution, fixer, is also acidic and
its job is to remove the unexposed silver crystals from the film or paper.
This stuff loses its effectiveness if it also had to neutralize the
developer, hence the use of stop bath.

ZR!  RPT (EX-photographer/darkroom tech)
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net