Perfect pitch...

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:15:55 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/98 9:36:25 AM Central Daylight Time, A440A@aol.com
 writes:

<< With all due respect, if he did say this, Franz Mohr is wrong on this
 point.   I am constantly surrounded by musicians that can tell if a note is
 four cents flat, upon first hearing it, not comparing it to other notes, but
 just to their internal sense of what it should be..  This is note
 recognition,
 with a lot of resolution, and it happens a fair amount.  Being able to
 differentiate between 438 and 442  is child's play to many.  >>

     It is a quote from his book.  I happen to agree with you.  I can
 recognize a very small amount of deviation from A-440 too and have had
 professional musician customers who can.  Still, I have never seen a truely
 scientific study which has proven anyon'es sense of pitch to be absolutely
 infallible, let's say to a small standard such as + or - 4¢ or even less, + or
 - 1¢.

     Even though my own sense of pitch is good, I know for sure that it is not
 entirely consistent, just as my vision or even my general hearing isn't from
 day to day.  There are external factors which can influence the keenness of
 perception.  Without a doubt, you have to hear a true A-440 often to be able
 to recognize it.  It shouldn't be too much of a surprise or phenomonen that
 musicians who tune their violins, oboes, etc. to a very strict standard hour
 after hour, day after day are able to recognize immediately a pitch which does
 not fall within a reasonable tolerance to professional standard.  But to
 claim, "perfect pitch" requires proof.  If I were Wim Blees, I'd say, "Show
 me, I'm from Missouri".

Bill Bremmer, RPT
Madison, Wisconsin