Bridge repair

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:13:45 -0500

Hi Joe
	I just did that to a bass bridge in a piano I own.  Meissner  52"
upright. This is because there was so much negative bearing, the bridge
cap (in sections) was pulled off (after being glued down with CA).   Don't
ask why I did not determine bearing before I did ANY bridge repair. (So I
could call myself idiot)  Just don't do it yourself.  Anyhoo, what could
be an instant fix but to run a piece of piano wire behind the front bridge
pins.  I know, this is blasphemy to the idea of the relation of the string
to the bridge pin and the cut, and besides the string would then ride up
on the B pin and beat.
	But soon the pudding was proofed.  I got an astonishing increase in
sustain time of some of the crudiest sounding bass strings outside a
square piano. Other strings sound OK, but I believe this to be a fault in
the bass scaling.
I had not heard of this procedure, so thought I had dreamed it up.  I did
not put a
wire behind the back pins.
	Now all I have to do is cut out a section of the wire and see if the
difference is audible.