pianotech-digest V1997 #770

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:13:29 EDT

>In restringing a piano, Art Reblitz says the bottom of the coil should
>be about 3/l6" from the plate.  Do the rest of you agree with this?
>Also, is there a jig that can be bought for setting tuning pin height?
>Some technicians use the term restringing while others say repinning.
>Which is correct?
>
>Jim Turner

3/16" is correct.  The "jig" can be made very easily with your tuning pin
punch. After you have establised the correct height of your first tuning pin,
with the punch sitting on the tuning pin, tape a hammershank to the side of
the punch, so that the end of the shanks hits the plate. That is the correct
height then for all the tuning pins you pound in. I use duct tape, and tape
the entire lenght of the hammer shank on the punch.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis