"School Bids-n-Proposals"

Daleboy Daleboy@aol.com
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:52:11 EDT

Dear Lisa and List,
     I have recently had a unique experience with our local school system here
in middle Tennessee. I am under the impression that the service contract for
piano work is currently issued to another local tuner....however.....I have
gotten calls from at least three schools in this particular county. The pianos
were serviced at my regular prices (plus mileage) and the staffs of the
schools have never mentioned any discounts. Some of the pianos had been
"Tooned" within the last month. I am puzzled by this as I know how the system
"usually works"....I ain't askin' a lot of questions tho. Evidently there are
systems that exist within systems, if you know what I mean. Perhaps these
request were funded privately in order to get around the contract issue, eh?
      I do agree with Bill Bremmer's approach to the situation by meeting with
the powers that be and that schools most often don't know how and where to
appoint their funds earmarked for the "arts".......but......so many schools
districts across the nation have DRASTICLY reduced their monies for the upkeep
of ALL music programs, not just service for pianos! Private interest may be
the key for funding piano service in our schools...I dunno......
       Behind all of this looms a larger question.......
What will happen to our future musicians if we don't keep these programs in-
tact at a "Grass Roots" level........$10 per piano.......GAWD!!!!!!!
Regards,
Dale Whitehead,
Franklin Piano Restorations