Acetic Acid - Update

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:22:33 -0700

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts wrote:

> Robert and List:
>
> 99.5% Pure may mean that it is uncontaminated with anything but water,
> and not be a reference to concentration.  If it is labeled Glacial Acetic
> Acid, this means that it is anhydrous, that is CH3COOH and nothing else.
> If it is, it will produce really spectacular burns on skin, or in your
> lungs and pharynx on inhalation.  It is not toxic, particularly, and can
> be safely disposed of by dilution, BUT, do it either in a fume hood or
> out of doors, and do it by adding the acid slowly to a large volume of
> cold water.  It will produce heat rapidly.  If you add water to the acid,
> it will boil explosively, splashing everyone in the vicinity with
> boiling, almost pure acid. As with any concentrated acid, always dilute
> by adding acid to water, and not vice versa.

The label does indeed indicate CH300H. When I opened the top what
escaped from just this action without shaking, stirring, or pouring was
very powerful. I was definantly not a pleasure to breath. I can't
imagine how the former tech here ever managed to use the stuff at all
when it is that powerful. There is no exhaust fan of any kind here.

Anyway, I have since made the proper contact and someone is suposed to
arrive this afternoon to take is away. Yippee.

Rob Goodale, RPT