"School Bids-n-Proposals"

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:27:21 -0400

Carl Root wrote:

> Frank Cahill wrote:
> > Here in the workaholic Wash. D.C. area, I've heard people say that
> > "music and music lessons are a WASTE OF TIME. After all, you can'at make
> > a living at it."
> >
> > Many people here view all pursuits in life as a springboard to making
> > money.  All activities should be competitive to better prepare you for
> > the work of work. If they don't, they are a waste.
>
> Careful now, Frank. :-)  A lot of people both in and out of our
> profession already have a somewhat distorted view of DC.  I'm a PTG
> member who has spent a lot of energy trying to get technicians to be
> more businesslike.  Some people, here and elsewhere, do indeed go
> overboard in their pursuit of money, power, etc., and that playing
> music, for some, is just the escape they need.  How ironic that their
> escape needs coincide with our business needs.
>
> Technicians, too, need to be sure they are not all-consumed with piano
> work and need to be sure that they enjoy other completely separate
> pursuits.  It's good for their mental health, and therefore good for
> business.  :-)  :-)
>
> Carl

Hi, Carl.  Good to hear from a local.

Yes, you are right about balancing your life.  But after almost 20 years
of employment in hi-tech, let me share some observations/experience
about working people in this area. Note that the same thing goes on in
most large metro areas like NY and LA.

On my last salary review(before I went full-time piano), my boss was not
happy with the fact that I left work a quiting time.  Mind you, I never
missed a deadlline and never received negative feedback about the
quality of my work from our clients.  But not working overtime (unpaid
of course) is a sin! What's funny is that they now hire me from time to
time as a consultant at TWICE the hourly rate.

I have a client, a couple actually, who never eat dinner with their kids
during the week. When I get to their house at 6 pm, the nanny lets me in
and then she feeds the children. Mom and Pop get home about 7:30 - 8 pm
and eat by themselves. There is very little interaction with the kids.

In the paper today, an article talked about a very successful Korean
born, 37 year old, hi-tech business owner.  His company was sold and
he'll be several million dollars richer.  Great, for sure. But, he often
worked 120 hours a week (that right 120 hours) to get were he is.  I
doubt he had much time for his daughter or the piano.

Unfortunately, this is the way the business world has gone since the
early '80s.  And, if you don't go along with it, your usually the first
to go during layoffs. Not always..I kept my job during a layoff at my
last job.  I did good work.

I must agree with you that these people need time at the piano. In fact,
some of my best clients are these knds of folks.

What I find most interesting is the number of people I have met, who
feel like I do and are now self-employed.  Many of these folks are
former hi-tech workers like me.

I'll get off the soap box now, Carl. See you at PTG.

Frank Cahill in VA