Bending shanks

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@CompuServe.COM
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:22:19 -0400

Speaking about bending shanks,

I went out and bought one of those heat guns for heat shrink tubing a few
months ago, along with the fancy baffle to keep the heat where you want it.
I also got some of those shank bending pliers from Schaff. I heated the
shank and bent it to where I wanted it so it was striking all three
strings. It looked and worked great. However ...

Two weeks later when I opened up the piano again, the shanks had unbent
themselves back to their original positions. What gives? Has anyone else
had this problem? How do I know when they are really "set"?

Wally Scherer
PTG Assoc.
Norfolk, VA