soundboard cleaning/rep.

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:59:08 EDT

>I would appreciate input regarding cleaning and even possibly
>refinnishing a grand soundboard with the strings allready installed?
>(Without "lifting" the strings). Sure would be an interesting and money
>saving  solution to this problem in some cases.
>
>Keep up the good work everybody!
>
>Arlan Harris

Arlen:

Cleaning the soundboard is possible, using a variety of methods.

Refinishing the soundboard without removing the strings, however, would be
almost next to impossible. The soundboard continues under the plate, and if
any stripping material goes under there, it would be very difficult to remove
it. Also, what are you going to refinish the board with, once you have it
stripped?  The amount of moisture associated with the material will not be
good for the strings. I have never attempted to refinish a board with the
strings still on the piano, but perhaps someone else has. My recommendation
would be to just clean it, or if the customer wants the board refinished, to
also restring the piano.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis