School contracts- Reply for Dave B.

PDtek PDtek@aol.com
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 00:59:19 EDT

> PDtek wrote:
>  >
>  > The Des Moines public school district sends bid forms to all of the area
> piano
>  > techs. The winning bid is usually in the neighborhood of $10 per piano
for
> 265
>  > pianos. We can only imagine the kind of service they receive for that
> price.
>  > One stipulation in the contract that has always scared me away states
that
> the
>  > pianos are to be tuned during the summer. Then, if anyone in the music
>  > department determines in October that the pianos have not been properly
> tuned,
>  > the tuner must retune the pianos again at no additional cost to the
school
>  > district. Well of course the pianos aren't going to be in tune by October
>  > after being tuned amid the summer heat and humidity! This IS Iowa we are
>  > talking about.
>  >
>  > Dave Bunch
>
>  Hey Dave,
>

>  Being a former "Des Moinesite" I can tell you that I have serviced a
>  good number of those pianos. From experience I can tell you that most of
>  them are junk. Working for Rieman's, however, I NEVER was paid as low as
>  $10.00, in fact I was always paid the normal rate, via the dealer. And I
>  NEVER tuned one for free. If this is the bid someone sent you then
>  somebody is clearly trying to rip you off- don't let them get away with
>  it, I assure you they have more money then that. I remember one time a
>  couple of years ago when the contract bidding came around and we were
>  told the minimum was to be $30.00 per tuning. I think P.O. got the
>  contract for a little more than that. Even without a contract though, I
>  was called out occasionally to do school jobs ranging from Indionola to
>  Ankeny, and even tuned a couple as far away as Jefferson once. Go
>  figure. Anyway, $10.00 is way out of line. If you decide you ever do
>  want the contract I can assure you they will go much higher. If you e-me
>  privately I can also give you a name that may be of help in getting a
>  foot in the door.
>
>  Best of luck, say "hey" to Dave L. for me if you see him.
>

>  Rob Goodale, RPT

Rob;

I think we must be talking about two different things. I, too, service several
Des Moines area schools on a one on one basis on my own terms. Because of the
quantity of pianos I usually give a small discount, but not much.

The bidding system is only for the inner city schools and is always awarded to
the lowest bid. I confirmed just today with an area dealer that is very close
to the whole process, that indeed the contract has been awarded for $10 per
piano before. We know the tuner involved.

If you were paid by Riemans, you may have been involved in something else
altogether, I don't know. If you or Riemans were able to get a fair price for
tuning out of these schools somehow, then my hat is off to you. I would be
curious to know who the contact person is that you reffered to.

You may not of had to do any free tunings, but I would hate to have that legal
clause hanging over my head in case there was an unusually sharp turn in the
weather or some staff member deciding that things were going to be different
this year.

By the way, beautiful spring weather here. Hope its not getting too ungodly
hot there in Arizona. HA HA

OK, when its November, you can take your turn.

Dave Bunch