Sciortino Coil Maker

PNOTNR PNOTNR@aol.com
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:20:30 EDT

<<
 That would be a curious advantage to tout in the Sciortino
 literature as I know of no one who makes a 90 degree bend in the
 wire before he/she installs it.  My tuning hammer automatically
 makes a becket with or without the Sciortino tool.  What the
 tool does do is make the becket and coil pretty easy without the
 usual discomfort to the fingers of holding the wire against the
 pin while turning the pin.  I did use the tool at one time (I
 lost a part) but didn't always get a perfect coil.  It seems
 that sometimes it coiled on top of tuning pin hole.  I'm sure I
 had it set incorrectly and someone will explain what the problem
 was.

 > <<
 >  I am guessing Ralph means you don't need to push the string out
 >  a little on the opposite side of the pin?  I don't anyway but
 >  that is all I could figure.  "Becket" is the piece of the wire
 >  that goes into the pin.  Can't do without it I'm afraid no
 >  matter what Sciotino might say.
 >   >>

 > My take on the instructions for the coil maker is that one does not need to
 > create a 90 degree bend in the wire, or becket, before proceeding to use
the
 > tool,  since the proper use of the tool is going to create the becket as
the
 > part of the wire located at the hole in the tuning pin rotates away from
the
 > the set screw fulcrum.
 >
 > Gordon Large, RPT >>

JEEZEEM CROW!!!!   Ya gotta be a freakin' lawyer to safely say anything in
here these days!!!!

Okay. okay, .......the 90 degree bend I mentioned is the one that is formed as
the wire is inserted in the hole in the tuning pin, and the pin is:

1.) turned with a tuning lever
2.) turned with some sort of substitute for the tuning lever
3.) turned with the fingers alone when rage over semantics on PIANOTECH drives
one to the point that he/she is ready to take a bite out of a cast iron
plate!!!

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine

(Really Pretty Tired.......of the bickering)