soundboard cleaning/rep.

Rolland Miller rmiller@EN.COM
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:41:09 -0400

Bob,
I've done some "mini" refinishing of soundboards where the old finish was
almost non-existent.  I didn't sand or scrap under the strings. I cleaned
the board with Murphy's oil soap (TSP would also work), then took off as
much of the old finish as I could with alcohol (stay away from the decal
with the alcohol).  I used an Amity Water-Based finish called "Natural
Aqua-Oil" #91616A at $9.99 per pint (may be hard to find). It has a small
amount of stain in it.  Put it on light as the stain/coloring will
"puddle".  Two coats is about as much as you would want to use. It turns
out nice.  I had to make up some special "tools" to get back under the
strings - long thin wooden handles attached to the kind of thin pad you can
get at a paint/hardware store for painting around window and door frames.
I didn't do this on any fine customer grands.  The work was done to dealer
pianos of modest quality where re-stringing was out of the question.

I post this not as a recommendation of this "technique" but to indicate
that you can do about anything you need to with persistence, patience and a
bit of orneriness.

If anyone really wants to do this contact me and I will furnish more
details on the "tools" I used.

Rolland Miller, RPT <rmiller@en.com> *********************************