charging for service

Jim Kinnear jkinnear@pianoguy.com
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:53:47 -0700

Dear peggy...

perhaps you misinterpret the discussion on charging for overhead.

When you buy a blouse from Walmart, you are paying for their "overhead"

the lease, the lawyers, the snow being shoveled, the hydro, the manager's
salary, the clerks health plan etc etc.
All these things are 'overhead'
They are apportioned out to everything you buy and figure into the price.
What they DON'T do is charge you $12 for the blouse, and $1.25 for the
delivery cost of getting the blouse from the blouse factory to you,....
unlike the misleading prices quoted by car dealers.... but that's another
soapbox

A piano tuner is not  ( usually ) a philanthopist. I know there are many
times I have helped out seniors, yuong families with 'adjusted' prices, as
have many of my fellow tuners, but generally one has to make a living by
charging a fair price.

I guess this is the way it's done.

I hope you'll not neglect your poor piano due to your frustration with our
attempts to make a living.
If you do, we know who you are and where you live and you might get a visit
from the  ( oh no!! ) P.A.S.
The Piano Aid Society, or the ASPCP, the American Society for the Prevention
of Cruelty to Pianos!!!!
you've been warned!!!!!