Book: Mastering Hand Tool techniques

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 17:22:44 -0600 (CST)

At 03:00 PM 12/28/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>Our local library got a brand new book that was very interesting to me.  I
>thought you might like to have the information about this book.
>
>Mastering Hand Tool Techniques
>By Alan and Gill Bridgewater
>
>A Comprehensive guide on how to sharpen, tune and use classic hand tools to
>add power to your woodworking
>
>The book is 144 pages long, with lots of full color photographs and
>illustrations on every page.  The book talks about the correct use of a
>number of hand tools including clamps, vises, chisels, saws, planes, braces
>and drills, rasps, files, scrapers, screwdrivers and other assorted tools.
>Also, a section at the back has full color photographs of different types
>of wood so you can identify them by sight.
>
>ISBN 1-55870-457-4
>Price in US $27.99
>(Can $39.99)
>Copyright 1997 by Quarto Inc.
>
>published by Betterway Books
>1507 Dana Ave.
>Cincinnati, OH 45207
>1-800-289-0963
>
>Sincerely,
>David A. Vanderhoofven
>Joplin, MO

Hey David, you mean there's a "right" way to use hand tools? Why didn't I
know that BEFORE investing all these years in slash, mash, gnash, and bash,
on the job heal.., er, training? Darn it. Well, at least it wasn't the chop,
crop, lop and drop method. Some of them may point in odd directions, but
I've still got all twenty (knock on head). Since I can't seem to get out of
a book store for under $100, I have to limit my browsing. Next time it comes
up on the wheel, I'll check it out.

You mentioned rasps. For Christmas, I got one of those Japanese rasps made
out of what looks like a bunch of double sided hacksaw blades, riveted
together in a sort of diamond shaped grid - like a foot scraper. Wonderful
tool! I'll have to have it around for a while to see if it proves to
actually be useful, but I've used it a couple of times and haven't shed any
blood, so far, so it seems to have potential. Anybody else get any neat toys?

Regards,
 Ron