string height

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 08:25:05 -0500

Although I don't keep records to the level of detail of recording string
height, I have observed string height changing within sections and from
section to section on almost every grand I have restrung.  Typically,
height from end to end of a section can vary as much as a millimeter or
two, and from section to section another millimeter or two.  In the area
where agraffes are used, height variations seem less.  Some very fine
pianos evidence these variations, some do not.  Unless the variations are
extreme, I don't think it is anything to get too concerned over.

Frank Weston