Nickel Plating

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:58:24 -0600

Thanks to Mike and all who replied.

Caswell
4336 Route 31
Palmyra NY 14522-9719
315-597-5140
www.caswellplating.com
They have a black and white photocopy type catalog of plating supplies
and equipment that they will send free. Caswell specializes in small
piece and small batch plating. They supply to restores of automatic
musical instruments, telephones, cars etc. They claim that several piano
rebuilders use their products.

Brownell's
200 South Front Street
Montezuma IA 50171-1000
515-623-5401

They are a very well respected supplier of gunsmithing supplies,
equipment, and tools. Gun shops deal with lots of plating as well as
bluing and other neat voodoo metal finishes. Their selection of plating
stuff is more professional/commercial oriented.

The reason I'm going to do my own plating is my favorite plater retired
at almost 70 years of age. He did excellent work at a fair price and
would turn around a set of hardware in two weeks if necessary. Although
there are hundreds of plating shops in the Chicago area, I have not
found one since with the same quality of work and service at any price.
I can't put a job on hold for six weeks waiting for a couple dozen
bolts, screws, and duplex bars to be plated. It's tempting to skip
replating a few duplex bars when that's the only plated hardware on a
piano. I also don't like having hardware lost. You can't just go to the
local hardware store and buy a screw to match one on a 100 year old
piano.

Electroplating can be dangerous and logistically difficult. The
solutions can't be shipped UPS and must be bought in large enough
quantity to justify the truck freight. Eletroless is much less toxic and
all the stuff can be sent UPS. The procedure is pretty straight forward
but I've not seen any electroless plating so I'm grateful for Mike's
response.

The key to good plating is the polishing and that's why it's getting
difficult to out source it. Not many people at any wage have the
patience to properly polish all the complex shapes and many screws in a
set of piano hardware. I have no intention of it becoming a commercial
venture, I just want more control over what goes out of my shop.

Thanks again,
Richard Anderson, RPT
Elgin, IL