Brass plating

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:32:06 -0600 (CST)

Hi David,

I've done this more than a few times. The brazing rod tends to be slightly
more copper-colored than the pedal brass, but you don't get much in the way
of color choice in brazing rod. Maybe when "decorator brazing" comes up on
the Yuppie Decorating Fad wheel that will change. Anyway, it's more
expensive in terms of time than just buying replacements, but if
replacements aren't available, or you need it NOW, it works just fine. One
more thing; watch your heat. Brass at a temperature suitable for brazing and
brass that's slumping into an amorphous blob look a lot alike from behind a
torch.

Luck, Ron

>Dear Bob,
>
>One of my customers had a solid brass pedal that had a hole worn through
>from heavy use.  After I took the lyre off and removed the pedals, he took
>the pedal and had someone (perhaps a welder) braze the pedal to fill the
>worn spot.  After the buffing and polishing, the brazed part almost matched
>the original brass.  Almost matching was good enough for my customer.  I
>have no idea if the person doing the brazing can try to match the color any
>better.
>
>Sincerely,
>David Vanderhoofven

 Ron Nossaman