*****: Harmony of the universe*****

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 21:26:05 -0600 (CST)

>Yeah, but Ron, after figuring out your cue ball track and letting fly with
>a 21 ounce cue, the balls whizz around table and then, sometimes, if
>you're lucky, your big reward is a soft, almost inaudible "click". Snooze
>time! I like to hear the balls actually fall into a pocket and the real
>reward comes when your opponent curses under his breath and then hands
>over the cash. As Minnesota Fats said one time "I don't take no checks!"
>However I will admit that no phenolic resin ball will ever be able to
>imitate the exqusite sound of two real ivory billiard balls kissing at
>the end of a five cushion shot.
>
>Les Smith

Not so big guy. I'm talking about that uniquely satisfying POCK of a
center-shot pocket (13-14 oz 60" que). I've shot some Billiards (discovered
position play, rails, and running english), but Snooker was my first love.
I've called six rails to center pocket on an object ball, (the 6 on the
final rotation) and cut the seven in off spot from the scratch circle. The
guy across the table paid up and left. Didn't seem to want to play anymore.
Of course, that was when I was nineteen and immortal. Alas, I'm no longer
nineteen, immortal, or particularly dangerous on a ten foot table. I do,
however, still have the que I bought in '63 even if I can no longer do it
justice. You got the ivory sound right though. Bet you can't find that
anywhere any more.

 Ron Nossaman