hammer return springs

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 23:03:03 -0600 (CST)

List,

Found the perfect tool, a small paring knife, for removing and inserting
the spring tails in that narrow slit.  Simply a snap!  No time at all for a
job that is much needed by many pianos in the world.  Gonna be watching
that bottom line of my financial statement grow even more this year.

Method:
I use the back end of the point of the knife for lifting all the tails out,
then needle nose pliers for pulling them through the holes, then insert the
new tail, put a slight bend with the pressure of my finger to hold it in
place, and then use the modified blade of the paring knife (to the size of
the that narrow slit)  as a lever and ease the tails right in place.

Thanks for being there,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician