*****: Harmony of the universe*****

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 00:36:03 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Not so big guy. I'm talking about that uniquely satisfying POCK of a
> center-shot pocket (13-14 oz 60" que). I've shot some Billiards (discovered
> position play, rails, and running english), but Snooker was my first love.
> I've called six rails to center pocket on an object ball, (the 6 on the
> final rotation) and cut the seven in off spot from the scratch circle. The
> guy across the table paid up and left. Didn't seem to want to play anymore.
> Of course, that was when I was nineteen and immortal. Alas, I'm no longer
> nineteen, immortal, or particularly dangerous on a ten foot table. I do,
> however, still have the que I bought in '63 even if I can no longer do it
> justice. You got the ivory sound right though. Bet you can't find that
> anywhere any more.

Ron:

I used to play a lot of Snooker. A real game of skill--huge tables and
small, tight pockets that showed no mercy. I learned the finer points
of the game at the hands of an old, French-Canadian hustler who also
taught me--by example--the value of being able to squeak the chalk on
your cue tip, jingle the change in your pocket, yell out "Hello" to some
guy on the other side of the pool hall, and even blow your nose just as
your opponent was stroking his shot! It got to the point where if he
didn't do something to try to distract you when you were shooting, you'd
be distacted by the absence of a distraction! :) As for being "nineteen
and immortal", that's a beautiful turn of a phrase. I remember the feeling
well, Thanks for the retrospective.

Les Smith