Recipe for trouble

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 08:34:34 -0700

Vanderhoofven wrote:

> Seriously folks, the above story is true.  I encountered my first piano key
> that had been chewed all the way through, and I want to make the sweet lady
> happy by fixing her beloved piano.
>
> Several questions:
> 1.  What type of wood is best for making a new key?
> 2.  Where can I obtain some of this wood?
> 3.  Any hints or warnings involved in making a replacement key?
>
> Thanks!
> David

Hi Dave! Howz Things In Joplin?

One idea for you: Since this is an Aeolian spinit, the keys are probably
pretty short and rather straight (as opposed to a sharply angled dog-leg
key). A couple of times I have come accross some old pianos with broken
keys beyond reasonable repair. In such cases I was able to make a new
key by splicing two keys together from another old piano.

While this might sound like a goofy and unorthodox way to make a repair,
it actually has worked for me rather well. You will need to find several
old keys to from a junk piano to make your selection, preferably close
to the dimensions you are needing. Then, either before or after the key
button (most likely before), you will cut the key at as long an angle as
the key will allow for splicing. (i.e., a long diagonal glue joint as
opposed to a butt joint). This will accomplish two things. First, you
can adjust the angle of the cut of each piece accordingly so that you
can re-create the proper angle of the original key, and two, you will be
duplicating the proper length between the key front and the button.
Careful and precise measuring is required.

Next, assuming the above operation was successful, you will need to cut
the remaining length of the key from the button to the capstan to the
proper length. From there you will need to locate and drill a hole for
the capstan placement, and then fine-fit the key in place with the
others. Hint: When you are doing the fancy splice I was mentioning
above, it may be best to remove the two neighboring keys and make your
estimations on the bench. It may even be helpful to make a pattern first
in this way.

Once the key seems to be a pretty close fit, you can sand off and excess
that may be rubbing against the neighbor keys, as well as remove any
material if the new key is too thick in general in any direction.
Finally, weigh it off for any key leads that might be needed. (In an
Aeolian spinet, there probably won't be any anyway, though you may need
to balance it in proportion to the other keys). Obviously you may or
may-not need to replace the plastic key top. If the old keytop is
willing to come off easily without breaking, you might be able to swap
it to the new key for a perfect match.

I would not necessarily recommend this method for all pianos,
particularly finer instruments, but it may suffice in this case,
particularly since this is an instrument that you wouldn't want to put a
lot of money into. Anyway, this is one idea that has worked for me a
couple of times, and it may work for you. Best of luck!

Rob Goodale, RPT