Concert prep help

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:27:40 -0600

Before I moved away from the city, I used to have the contract at the
University of New Orleans where Wynton's
dad Ellis teaches.  Ellis' piano and most pianos there are below standard
instruments.  I have also worked for many, many Jazz cats around New
Orleans and fortunately for me (like in your situation) their standards are
not that of a classical pianist.  I have had Van Cliburn people throw up
their hands and want voicing, aftertouch and repetition perfected to THEIR
tastes (30 minutes before the performance).  Jazz guys generally want you
to take that pencil out of the action so they can get on with it.  Almost
as bad as Thelonious Monk himself-what out of tune recordings!  The player
may be Kenny Kirkland-a real killer.  These guys are more interested
(generally) in the overall performance and less about little things that
"anal-retentive, non-jazz, I'm the greatest thing to ever happen to the
musical world, the bench is 1/32 of an inch too high" folks would be.

I have found many of the concert instruments in the area to be in need of
lots of work, but it doesn't seem to matter.

That is not to say that all are that way.  I would even out the voicing,
check aftertouch (you can crank up or down the action glide bolts to
gang-adjust aftertouch-just make sure action still glides with no knocks),
tune the top plenty stretched, check let-off and drop, good rep., (I use
Spurlock's let-off jig or Jon Page's for speed).
Hit the high spots.

As to approaching the people who should spend $ on the piano, I have made
friends with the artists and in my sly way have "inspired" them approach
the Dean or whoever and express how much the piano needs. They also assure
the Dean or whoever that I understand/understood what is needed and seemed
capable of bringing the piano up to the level necessary.  If the pianist
complains, I also remind them that I am not the sole tech responsible for
the piano and that I agree with him/her(if I do), and then we are then on
the same team, trying to do what WE can for HIS/HER performance under these
"less than ideal" circumstances.  It's worked for me. When the pressure
builds, take a deep breath and act like you know what you're doing.  You'll
look back and realize you didn't need to be so stressed.  Often times they
have cut me off and told me to stop (30 minutes to tune, etc.) even though
I said that the piano was not ready.  No one else seemed to notice. I
HIGHLY recommend Franz Mohr's book "My Life With the Great Pianists". He
has many similar stories, and stuff that happens to us, happened to him
even in the big league.   Hope this helps. Good luck.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net