floating Grands

ETomlinCF3@aol.com ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:35:00 EST

If you remember two years ago the Portland Or area was hit with a flood.  We
had a Yamaha GH1  (one of the first) floating in a basement.  We went out,
declared it a loss and their insurance paid for a new one.  We got the piano
for a small sum.  Being that our manager at the store I work at is, shall we
say...Cheap,  He wanted to have a cheap fix.  We did not replace the pinblock,
nor most any thing else.  We replaced the hammers because they looked brown
not because they sounded bad.
The piano was restrung using one size up on the pins with Spar varnished
holes.  We now have one of the most stable rental pianos in town.  The keybed
frame has warped a bit and a few jack tenders have come loose.  But
remarkably, to Yamahas credit... the HUmid-a-seal pin block is holding well.

Your results will differ do to the specific quality of the piano you are
working with.  Proteck all center pins and make sure the key frame is not
warped.  Check and recheck because warping can begin to show up later as well.
If the pinblock appears to be good try some test pins a size up and I
recommend restringing.  The pin block needs to be sealed with Spar Varnish to
hold well and brush and clean out the holes thoroughly before restringing.
Good luck.

Ed Tomlinson

<<
 Everything is now dry and in remarkably good shape. No keys or action
 parts are sticking. There is some unevenness of hammer swings but it was
 probably that way before. The only rust is on the strings (mostly around
 tuning pins). The music desk tray felt became unglued. The piano is very
 out of tune. I cannot find anything else wrong and I'm concerned that I
 have overlooked something major.

 Anyone have ideas of what to look for?