..damper seating..

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 10:25:32 -0600 (CST)

>...One thing I have noticed, and had a
>problem with is that the action bolts are already turned up too high. I
>dread removing the actions on these because it will not go back in
>without first lowering the bolts. Then try to get them back to where
>they were.......
>Mike Masters

Mike, if I understand what you are experiencing, you might appreciate this
bit of information.  *Don't* change the position of the action support
bolts to make the action easier to remove.  Instead, modify the action
nose/retaining bolts, where the action bracket retaining forks hold the
action in place, by forcing them upwards a bit.

After removing the action without changing the action support bolts (it can
be done with the aid of hammer shank pliers and some tugging), use a
regular claw hammer or such, and bend the offending bolts upwards by
hitting them.  Or use the handle of an extension tuning lever by sliding
the handle onto the nose bolt, and bend the offending bolts upwards.

After a few attempts you will have them in just the right place, not too
loose, and not too tight, allowing the reinstallation and future removal of
the vertical action an easier task.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician