Rules for Well Temperament

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 07 Feb 1998 10:36:50 -0700 (MST)

Hi Paul:

Thanks for spelling out for we novices the official rules for WT.
If you have time, would you show me where my Coleman VII deviates from
this in a serious way? I think I was trying to do all this without
really knowing the "rules." Just for review, the Coleman7 Well Temp.
has the following deviations from EQ:

A  A# B  C  C# D  D# E  F  F# G  G# A   Note names

0  0 -2  3  0  1  0 -1  3 -1  2  0  0   Cents Deviation from SAT FAC tuning

>From the above one can see that the C-E 3rd is slowed down by 4 cents
                                    F-A 3rd                   3 cents
                                    G-B 3rd                   4 cents
                                    Bb-D 3rd                  1 cent
                                    D-F# 3rd                  0 cents
                                    Eb-G 3rd                  2 cents
                                    A-C# 3rd                  0 cents
                                    Ab-C 3rd is increased by  3 cents
                                    E-G# 3rd                  1 cent
                                    Db-F 3rd                  3 cents
                                    B-D# 3rd                  2 cents
                                    Gb-Bb 3rd                 1 cent

Oops! Now I see what you were referring to 6 months ago when you said my
attempt at Well temp. was a little irregular.

So, I guess I need to rework my stuff to get a more even increase in the
3rds widths going from C to A around the circle of 4ths and 5ths. And,
continuing to increase the 3rd widths as the number of #'s and b's occur
in a key signature. Do I have that right now?

Oops! again. I just noticed I have a Bb 5th that is more than 1 cent wide.
Oh well, back to the drawing boards, I mean spreadsheet.

Jim Coleman, Sr.