Key Bushings

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:49:38 -0600

I use a square tin with a slot cut in the cover and lay 4 or 5 keys
with bushings across the slot.  Oh there is water boiling in the tin.
 By the time I have laid them on, I can start with the first one.
	But I like Ron's pressure cooker and will try that next time. My
slotted boiling water box is trickey esp if the wood gets mushey, as
in bushings that are not original.I can envision a jig to hold a key
to the steam while removing the bushings from the key just heated.
And it sounds like the answer to the steam generator I have wanted
for a long time.  But what to use for optional add on tube?

Richard Moody

----------
> From: Ron Nossaman <nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Key Bushings
> Date: Friday, February 06, 1998 8:10 PM
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> Very frustrating. I've had sets do this to me when I was using the
wet felt
> strip and iron torture system. I haven't since I changed methods.
It's
> either dumb luck (on which I rely heavily) or a better method. I
bought a
> small pressure cooker at an estate sale, pitched the popoff weight,
and
> ground the lid nipple to a taper on the tip. When it's wheezing a
good head
> of steam, I set the key on top (front bushing) and rock it about 45
degrees
> first one way, then the other with a 3-5 second pause on each side.
For the