What's the big deal?

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:40:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Bob

You wrote:

> That's Functional Harmony -- the
>relationship between chords setting up certain expectations. The same is true
>of modulation. The excursion to a distant key center sets up a tension
>independent of the tuning, for those well-versed in the language of harmony.
>
>Bob Davis

To me, this is one of those "universal language" kind of things .. i.e., the
reaction to modulation is like the reaction to melodic contour and dynamic
changes: innate and nearly universal. Open to debate, of course. Cultural
differences and individual aptitudes may matter. But in Western countries
(and probably, more or less anywhere these days) even those who can't carry
a tune in a bucket understand V - I as an ending of a sort, and V - V as
hanging in the air. It's only a step further to hearing that a whole phrase
or section of a piece has changed center.  Well, perhaps that _is_ what you
meant by "well-versed."

I think we are in agreement as to the greater importance of functional
harmony, compared to temperament. Temperament is a learned taste, not an
automatic reaction. What one is used to sounds "right" and everything else
is "out of tune" until one has learned it as well. Then it, also, in a way
is "right". Those with poor pitch discernment may never hear the differences
at all, yet still can react to functional harmony. So, I would say that the
effect of functional harmony is far more important and universal than
reactions to temperament changes in distant keys. Not that they can't work
together: just that one is an order of magnitude _more_ important than the
other.

Regards,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Only in a crazy world would jewels be worth more than tools."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant